Lawlor Family Est. 1978

Lawlor Family Est. 1978

Saturday, May 26, 2012

quilted fabric temple bag

 These are the instructions I came up with to make a folding temple bag with handles. It's very similar to the old pattern. Above is the layout, below is placement of pockets and handles, with short instructions of what I did. I wouldn't cut the hanger part until after it was all sewn up, the curves are tricky. The only thing I would probably do different is make a seam instead of fold on the other side of zipper and put the zipper in first, then add pockets and not hem that side of the pocket, but put it on the edge and sew it up with the rest of the bag. Does that make sense?  If you look at the bag I made for my mom using an upholstery fabric, you can see how I did it. (That post is coming next after I finish this one, so be patient if it's not there yet.)

 I loved working with quilted fabric, especially the ones with a different pattern on each side.
1st step after cutting out all your pieces is to hem all the pockets and flaps. I used a zigzag stitch to keep fraying at a minimum.  Above is wrong side, below is right side.

 This is how I did the straps. Fold left side about an inch -
 Than fold right side over about 1/4 inch and then fold again over the left side
 Pin in place and zigzag shut. Easy!

 Now comes the fun part. Figuring out placement of the pockets. I made an inner pocket that went in the bottom pocket. You can leave it off if you don't want it. It's up to you.
 This is kind of what it looks like. Below you'll find measurements. In the instructions I tried to put exact measurements, but it all depends on how long your bag is, so pin it, fold it and see if you need to make adjustments.
 This is fold over the bottom pocket.

 Fold over again, up to the top pockets. You can see that to finish folding it up, you need to fold down the top part.
 Here is how I attached the straps and flap for keeping the two folded pieces together. Sew it on with a 1/4 inch seam, fold it back over and sew another 1/4 inch to keep in place.  It's up to you how far apart you want the straps. I think mine were 2 or 3 inches from the sides.
 This is how the straps, recommend pocket and flap should look when you're done.
 After getting all the pockets and flaps on I put the zipper in. It was not easy and like I said, the next one I would make a seam where the fold is and put the zipper in first and then do the pockets and stuff. But this was the first one. I also put in a white zipper and didn't like it and bought a zipper for the full length of the bag from Mesa Sales, a local upholstery fabric shop that sells by the yard (if I remember right it's about 10-20 cents a yard). I didn't take a picture, but I laid the left side of zipper next to the inside pockets. I ended up cutting part of it off to make it fit better and used a lighter to seal the edge so it wouldn't fray. Look at one of the finished bag pictures for a better picture. This picture is how I put the right side of the zipper in.
 Top stitch.
 Stitch up the top, making sure you leave a space open for the hanger to fit through. This is how the zipper went in on one side.
 A look at the other side. 
 Now turned right side. If you look close you can see how I put the left side on. I'd probably do it different next time. I did do it different on my mom's, that involved more work though. This was easy, but not especially perfect seamstress quality.  You can make it easier by just putting the zipper in on the edge, if you decide to do it that way when you cut it out just make the bag about 19 inches wide. (I plan on also putting up the instructions for recycling my old bag that had a zipper on the edge so you can see what I mean)
 This is where the hanger goes through. It's a little bulky to work with, so be careful not to catch any other material underneath. Just zigzag the folded over edge.
 I looked everywhere for large sew-in snaps locally, but could only find a really expensive pair that looked like a regular snap, only large or the kind you put in a purse after cutting slits and I didn't want that. I went online and found a place that sells these sew-in purse snaps for about 90 cents each in packs of 10. It's still cheaper than the one I found at Joanns even with shipping. Here's the site if you want to see where I got it.
 I took apart some of the fabric and made a covered button to go on all the flaps. It's too thick that's why I took it apart - yes, lot's of work for a covered button, you can use a regular button if you want.
 Here's the inside hanging up like you'd hang in the closet.
 Here's the outside.
 And here it is all folded up and ready to use. I bought some satin type fabric and made a huge flower to go on recommend pocket. Here's the instructions for how to. I made mine 5 inch squares for a bigger flower. Very easy to do!  I made the center by cutting a circle (maybe 3", don't remember) and putting a little batting in it and gathering the edges into the middle to make a kind of flat ball. Then I got some beads and started attaching those in the middle working my way to the edge I wanted. I sewed in place on top of the flower and then I glued it on the flap of the pocket with E-6000 glue. Should be washable if I ever needed to wash it.
It's pretty easy to fold up after I'm done in the temple and unfold to hang up when I'm getting dressed or ready to put away. It's so easy to carry by the handles or slung over your shoulder. I love my bag!

No comments: