I'm such a picturetaking slacker! A lot has been going on this summer and I haven't taken any pictures! Luckily others have! After the trek we had girls camp. Our theme was "Seeking for Good in the World" and every ward had a different country and so did the staff and priesthood and stake presidency. We were Israel. I was a little worried because it was a week before camp and I only had one idea for our value's class, maybe two. Wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. But of course, the Lord ALWAYS helps and comes through for the girls. I think the classes went well. The first day we talked about "Come, See" the Savior in our life, and we sang. I made a little booklet with songs that have helped me and we talked about life's experiences and how music about the Savior can play a major part in our life. We even sang the song from Tangled called "I See the Light". And likened it to seeing the light of the Savior. Only had to change a few words, but it worked and there was a beautiful spirit there as we sang the different songs. I knew we were suppose to sing that song when I went to go see the movie with my granddaughters. Sat there and bawled during the whole song! When you think of it as seeing the Savior it changes the whole feeling! Beautiful! The next day was Sunday, so we didn't have a class, but we had our culture/treat station. They learned a new some this year. "You Can't Rollerskate In a Buffalo Herd". We also sang the old songs, "Battle of New Orleans", "All I Gotta Do Is Act Naturally", "Santa Looked Alot Like Daddy". We brought creamsicles and fudgsicles and bullets. They were packed in dry ice and boy were they frozen! A couple of girls got their tongues stuck on them, just like in "Christmas Story"! The next day I believe Stanley spoke to the girls about preparing to meet the man you'll marry someday. We gave them the quote by Pres. Benson about "give me a girl who keeps her baptismal covenants, etc and I'll give you a girl who will perform miracles". It's a great quote! Our last class didn't turn out exactly like I envisioned but it turned out okay I think. I wanted to put a section of puzzle together in each class with some of the pieces missing and talk about not leaving anyone out, God does not exempt anyone because of the way they look or dress. To him we are all the same and will be given the same opportunities and blessing if we are faithful and love each other. I hope that came across. The puzzle didn't work like I wanted it to and we ended up having a couple of women put it together instead of having the girls take turns doing it. It always amazes me how everything comes together and fits. I had two of my daughter-in-laws up at camp this year. It was fun and a little confusing sometimes when someone yelled, "Sister Lawlor!" We all turned around to see
which one! (Thanks Elizabeth for thinking of taking this picture!) We had a great time. Natalie did evening programs and did such a wonderful job! Especially loved the program before singing trees! So neat to stand during the part of the song that said "we will stand"! Elizabeth was working with the YCL's and helped put together the first's night evening program. They did the amazing race with gospel themes and the girls had fun running around looking for their clue's and trying to be first back at the ramada. It didn't work like she wanted, they ran out of time, but it worked out anyway! Skit night was really fun. I do have video of each ward/staff skit, but I won't post them here. I've been thinking of making a page for all the pictures and video we've taken over the years of girls camp for anyone to look at and download what they want. So much work went into camp and it was all worth it and the girls were loving and kind to each other, there was just this wonderful, peaceful spirit there. Only two more camps for us before Stanley is released and we won't have the opportunity to do what we have loved to do these past 6 or 7 times! The faces change but the spirit is the same! We LOVE girls camp!
1 comment:
I love girls camp too! Oh how I miss it. I'm the Primary Pres. here. I love my primary kids but I miss camp. We were just down there visiting, but missed you cause you were at camp. Darn. If you guys ever come up to Utah call we would love to see ya.
Post a Comment