Lawlor Family Est. 1978

Lawlor Family Est. 1978

Friday, December 26, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread

Okay! These last two post were more for me - so I can look them up again if I loose them in my paper stacks! (butter, friendship bread) So here's the story about friendship bread. I love the stuff, but I don't love having to deal with 4 cups of extra starter. But I've found the solution! I found a recipe for cinnamin rolls that uses some of the left over starter if you don't want to pass it on to someone else!
I got some friendship bread starter from some dear friends and I've been faithful and made some bread yesterday - Christmas of all days! I saved a bag of starter for myself and have one more bag to give someone - if you want it, call me! And I went on-line to see if anyone else had any suggestions on what they did with starter they didn't want to save or throw away.
I ran across a recipe for sourdough cinnamon rolls. That's basically what this friendship bread starter is - sourdough! And I tried it today with the 2 cups of starter I was just going to throw away.
They turned out great! So if you ever get a bag of starter for friendship bread, you can make a batch of bread AND a batch of cinnamon rolls every 10 days! Who doesn't love cinnamon rolls?!?!?! So here's the recipe. I'm also going to include the recipe along with the instruction for the other bag of starter I have to give away! And hopefully this starts a new tradition!

I had to try one to make sure they were okay:>}

Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls
1 pkg active dry yeast (1 rounded tablespoon if you buy yeast in bulk like I do)
1 c. warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 cups sourdough starter (I used the starter the next day after dividing, so it sat one day)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
2 tsp. salt
5-6 c. all purpose flour
Cinnamon filling (recipe follows)
1/4 c. butter or margarine melted
cream cheese frosting (recipe follows)

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl. Stir in sourdough starter, sugar, 1/2 c. butter, the salt and 1 cup of the flour. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Place dough on lightly floured board; cover with bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
Make cinnamon filling.
Knead dough on lightly floured board until smooth and elastic, 10 minutes. Divide dough in half. Roll each half on well floured board into rectangle 15x9 inches. Brush each half with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter; spread each with half the cinnamon filling. Roll up, beginning at narrow end. Cut each roll into 9 slices. Place slices on greased baking sheets; cover. Let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Make cream cheese frosting. Frost rolls while still warm.

Cinnamon Filling
1 c. packed brown sugar
2 c. finely chopped nuts
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Mix all ingredients

Cream Cheese Frosting (the ONLY thing to put on cinnamon rolls!)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Mix well

Disclaimer: I did not divide my dough in two, I just rolled it out. I did not use the cinnamon filling - I just did what I normally do when I make cinnamon rolls. And the original recipe I found called for powdered sugar glaze which called for hot coffee! I don't drink coffee and I prefer my cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting anyway! So So So much better that way! The next time I make them I might let the extra starter sit 4 or 5 days before making the cinnamon rolls.

Thanks tasteofhome.com for the sourdough cinnamon rolls recipe and recipezaar.com for the cream cheese frosting recipe! There was also a recipe for sourdough english muffins that I might try in 10 days when my starter is ready to divide again. I'll let you know how those turn out!

No comments: