Lawlor Family Est. 1978

Lawlor Family Est. 1978

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Pioneer Trek





We had our pioneer trek up by Forest Lakes, which is several miles past Christopher Creek. The weather was great, cold at night and cool during the day. Of course, I wasn’t pulling a handcart like the kids were, or walking with them, like Stanley was! The first picture is of the four of us, before it started. The next picture is of one of the down hill parts on a very rocky road. I believe that’s Emmee holding back the cart in the back so it doesn’t run over people on the way down. They went through “Indian” territory on the second day. The third picture is titled, “Yes! Brownies! I found them!” They wanted to trade brownies for safe passage. (Sis. Dees had just given them a package of brownies as a treat.) All they’d been eating was hardtack and jerky, so the brownies were precious! The “Indians” would take a bite of the brownies and spit them out and stomp on the rest of them – adding insult to injury! Some of the groups were able to hide their brownies and eat them later! One even offered to trade one of the girls instead of the brownies! The fourth picture is of the boys lined up to sign in for the battalion march. I think Dallon is about 9th boy back. What was neat about this all was, that as the boys marched off, the girls started pulling and it was very hard – the YSA came to help them, dressed like angels! They didn’t speak to the girls, but they helped them pull their carts up a steep hill. One woman said she was really upset with the “Indian” that took their brownies and here was the same boy, dressed like an angel, helping them pull their cart! Her feelings changed immediately! Sorry I don’t have a picture of that, but I’m sure someone else does and I’ll get a copy of it later. There’s more pictures to follow!

No comments: